Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kindness and Favor

       So I'm interning in the Labor and Delivery room from 7-11pm once a week. During my second shift it got really slow and there was literally nothing I could do so I was just sitting around. I went and got my bible out of my purse, praying that I'd be able to find a good spot to read, and not disturb/get in the way of anyone. There's this rocking chair right by the nurses station so I sat down and dove in.

I noticed the demeanor of the nurses started to change toward me. They had barely acknowledged my existence, just giving me orders. Once they saw I was reading a bible they literally took interest in me. They were kind and they seemed more joyful. [the Word of God is powerful!] It was a very noticeable difference. I ended that shift Sunday night and had another shift last night. When things again slowed down and there was nothing I could help with at the moment I sat down in the same rocking chair, this time without my bible. One of the nurses looked at me and said, "You should go get your Bible. That would be a better use of your time". At first I thought she was being sarcastic but then I realized she was encouraging me. 

So I went and got it along with the book I'm reading now, "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" by Jim Cymbala (recommend it!). I asked her if she is a Christian and she smiled, "Yes honey, that's why I work at this hospital, so I can pray for the patients. Most of us here at the night shift are". I was ecstatic, but I tried to contain myself, smiled really big and uttered a broken, "Wow". 

So now, not only am I surrounded with nurses who love Jesus, they're encouraging me to read my Bible whenever there's down time! 
I thought of Chris Tomlin's song "Kindness",
It's your kindness Lord
That leads us to repentance
Your favor Lord, is our desire
It's your beauty Lord
That makes us stand in silence
Your love
Your love
Is better than life

I actually had it in my head at the beginning of the shift!

The nurse, Debbie, also shared the singer, Mandisa, with me. She played it on her phone in the nurses station and we both bobbed our heads to it. Here's one of her songs, it sounds better if you just google it (Only the world). I guess she was on American Idol. 

Praise Him!!!
"Incline your ear and hear the words of the wise,
And apply your mind to my knowledge; 

For it will be pleasant if you keep them within you,
That they may be ready on your lips.
So that your trust may be in the LORD,
I have taught you today, even you." -Proverbs 22:17-19

[this was a proverb for chapter 22 and this was on March 22nd! love those little details]

1 comment: