Wednesday, September 29, 2010

vigilant listening

"Listening is to be cultivated and renewed each day. Our lives are too full and active to automatically allow for a natural flow of attentiveness. We cannot run through life and expect that we will hear what stirs deep within us or notice what begs our attention without regularly adjusting our listening antennae. God is present to us in the scriptures, the life of the church, our work, prayer, people, events, and nature. Not a person, place, or a moment is left out from divine revelation. Something of value for our growth is always being made known to us in the midst of our ordinary lives. This revelation stretches far beyond and much deeper than how we usually perceive life. Our spiritual development depends on our being alive and vigilant enough to hear the message of transformation that weaves through our daily existence."
-from Open The Door, by Joyce Rupp

"Listen to me; be silent, and I will teach you wisdom." Job 33:33

"And now, my children, listen to me." Proverbs 8:32

"I slept but my heart was awake. Listen! My beloved is knocking. 'Open to me, my sister, my love, my dove, my perfect one," Song of Solomon 5:2

"Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known." Jeremiah 33:3

No comments:

Post a Comment