Tuesday, August 24, 2010

This is a story my friend experienced and wrote. She encourages me and I wanted to share it cuz it had such an impact on me. Sorry for those who thought this was me. lol. nope, it's my friend. :)


I met Saul this morning

Gah I love Jesus.
I was up till 3 am last night packing for Ethiopia, and was back at it by 6am. By the grace of God, I had time to be with Him on the beach before work. As I sat down on the sand, a young guy passed by me, walking in the water, lugging a suitcase over his head. He caught my attention, and I prayed for him as he walked past.
I spent a lovely 20 or so minutes with God, then got up to head to work. During that 20 minutes I had watched as that same kid dropped his luggage on the shore, walked up to the water….and jumped in, clothes and all. (If you know me, you understand how stoked I am on that idea…hahaha) As I was watching, praying, and wondering why he was jumping in, the Lord revealed to me he was having a moment with Himself right then and there. I prayed that whether or not this guy knew Him, that God would speak to him and he’d know Him more.
As I got up to leave, the young man was swimming back into shore. The Lord made me acutely  aware of him in the corner of my eye, and I began to pray if I should speak a word to him from the Lord. I was due to be at work so I headed to my car, thinking that if he crossed my path that the Lord wanted me to talk to him. I drove out of the Carrillo lot, and saw him walking again from far away. I felt like God wanted me to talk to him but wrestled with it because I didn’t want to be late to work—especially on my last day before taking time off for Africa for two weeks. God had me turn around, and I parked back in the same lot. I began to pray, asking God what he wanted to do and say, praying he would make the opportunity for His will to happen, and that it would be easy (as far as approaching this guy, etc). I prayed for the young man, that he would KNOW God, that he’d know Him as his Good Shepherd. I prayed especially that God would show him what it means that He’s his FATHER.
At this point, the fellow was nowhere in my line of sight, but as I got out of my car I prayed the Lord would show me where he was if he wanted this conversation to go down. Walking up to the Carrillo Bathhouse, I saw him cleaning his feet off by the showers. I approached him, introduced myself, and learned his name. We’ll call him John. I just told him (as the Lord prompted me) that I was a Christian and had been talking to God on the beach. I told him when I saw him, the Lord prompted me to pray for him. As I prayed, I felt like God me to tell him that He loves him, He sees him, He’s with him, that He’s his Good Shepherd and Father.
This guy looks at me, quinting his eyes through the sun blazing behind me and says, “That is so.crazy. that you would come up to me and say that right now. As I was swimming I was thinking about God….whether or not He’s real….struggling with uncertainty. There’s alot of uncertainty in our lives you know, as people in general. That must have taken alot of courage for you to come up to me and say that. I’m glad you did.”
Over the next 15 minutes a Holy Spirit led conversation ensued. We got to know each other a little, him thinking out loud and asking questions, me speaking Scripture and words from the Lord as He led. Here’s some of the high points about his life:
-He grew up Mormon in Utah
-His view of God got screwed up during the required two year stint of service
-Alot of the confusion he had regarding God is from his dad (needs God as a FATHER!!)
I asked if I could pray for him, and he heartily agreed. Afterwards, I asked him if he had a Bible. He said no and the Lord told me to give him mine. (Eeeeek! I’ll be honest I reallydidn’t want to because it’s like a DIARY, you know-a record of the relationship between you and God, a log of your journey together. As stupid as it sounds, it was hard to let it go. But I have no remorse. God told me to, and there was such a rightness and a freedom when I did.)
In continued conversation I found out he’s been traveling (homeless) to find a COMMUNITY. He spent time with an Indian tribe in Washington, and is  looking for a commune now….sooo I told him about the love, belonging, and fellowship I’ve found within a group of college kids at my church. We call our gathering Adorn, but we’re just a bunch of 20 somethings who love Jesus and love each other. He wants to see what this community is like. He’s super humble and searching…just hungry for love and truth, for his MAKER. It is so evident that Jesus is AFTER this guy. He already did a work this morning, and I can’t WAIT to see what John’s relationship with God will look like in coming months.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
I’ll be honest, I came SO close to brushing off the voice of the Holy Spirit telling me to talk to John this morning. My flesh subtley whispered destruction: “I’m tired God. I’m preparing for Ethiopia God. I just want to love and and be loved on by You, God—just some ‘us’ time.” Basically, “It’s about me God.” So wrong. So selfish. Disobedient. Not what He calls us to.
I’m so glad the Lord changed my heart to live by the “What if?!!” of HIS GLORY than of my comfort. Can you imagine if I hadn’t spoken to him? He might still be working through some uncertainty of whether or not God even EXISTS, not to mention if He is intimately involved in every area of our lives. Even now, John may still be wavering on the sea of doubt a bit, but I believe he caught a bigger glimpse of the reality of God this morning, and is now one step closer to walking in that reality.
Obviously, God is relentless in His pursuit of us and could’ve found another way to reach John. But, for whatever reason, He chose to use me this morning: a girl, sleep deprived, preparing to leave for Ethiopia, on the way to work….the odds weren’t favorable. But God had so intentionally planned this—-YEARS ago. I am so humbled. And amazed at how ready and stoked He is to use US to sow eternity if we just make our lives, our time, our hearts, our moments, our days available
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
 Something my former youth pastor used to say has stuck with me for years: “In the Kingdom of God, there’s no off season.”  And that’s OKAY. Because when we embrace the reality that we exist for HIS GLORY—it’s a win-win situation. WE NEVER LOSE. If His Glory is our delight, then our hearts will always be steadfast. Because, as we know, His Light will shine when all else fades. He’s the only thing that’s eternal. 
“But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.  I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.” Philippians 3:7-11
“In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.” 2 Timothy 4:1-2
“But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect…” 1 Peter 3:15
“Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Colossians 4:2-6

3 comments:

  1. So good!! I love situations like that when you trust the still small voice and the Holy Sprit takes over and crazy things happen! Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking out Ethiopia updates and found my way here. This story is so encouraging Bri! Dang. Keep loving the lord and faithfully following Him.
    -Cody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarification...this wasn't me. lol. This was Ashley Stephen! Sorry. Praying for obedience myself and abiding in His will.

    ReplyDelete