Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This is a story from Cross-Cultural Servanthood (The Lord is seriously changing my life through this book) that made me think about Prov 27:21 in a new way:
Dave = missionary
Mr. Yaka = Dave's mentour/father figure
"Dave was quite well educated; he had a distinguished career as a pilot in the Air Force and was gifted in a way that would have brought him success in any number of ventures. Mr. Yaka had little education and little to suggest that he could mentor Dave. Early on in their relationship, though, something very significant happened. 
The two companions had arrived at a place where they were to speak at a conference. The person greeting them said to Mr. Yaka, "I am very sorry but would you be willing to sleep on the floor of this classroom. We have a straw mat and blanket for you". Mr. Yaka graciously agreed. Then the greeter turned to Dave and said, "We have only one bed left, which we have been holding for you. If you come with me I will show you to your room". At this point Dave hesitated only slightly before saying, "Sir, I thank you for being concerned for my comfort. But if you don't mind, I would really prefer staying with my friend, Mr. Yaka. He and I have things to discuss. Would you be so kind as to bring me a mat and blanket?"


Dave was tested by the praise given to him. His hidden motives and perceptions of himself and Mr. Yaka were revealed in this "praise". Had he accepted the room Mr. Yaka may have, from that point on, felt inferior to Dave. Instead he showed Mr. Yaka honor in humility and they both went on to be partners in taking an effective evangelistic program to many other countries on the continent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment